You’ve finally decided to renovate your commercial building. Congratulations! A renovation can be a great way to revitalize your company and make it more efficient and inviting for customers and employees.
Before tearing down walls or shopping for new furniture, take a step back and assess your building’s needs. What systems need to be updated? What can be repaired? What needs to be replaced?
With so many things to consider, it can’t be easy to know where to start. That’s why we’ve put together this commercial building renovation checklist. Whether planning a complete overhaul or cosmetic updates, read on for everything you need to know.
1. Does Your Company Need a New Roof?
A company’s needs change as it grows. What once may have been an adequate commercial roofing system may no longer suffice for your business. As your business changes and grows, it’s important to regularly assess your commercial roofing system to ensure it can adequately protect your business. Here’s a commercial building renovation checklist to help you determine if your company needs a new roof:
- Leaks or water damage to the ceiling.
- Curling, cracked, or missing shingles.
- Daylight is coming through the roof.
- A musty smell in the attic.
- Obvious signs of damage to the roof.
If you notice any of these red flags, it’s time to consider adding a new roof to your commercial building renovation checklist. A new roof will not only improve the look of your building but also increase energy efficiency and protect your property from future damage. When choosing a new roof, be sure to work with a reputable roofing services contractor who can help you select the best roofing system for your specific needs.
2. Is Your Company’s HVAC Running Smoothly?
One of the most crucial systems in your commercial building is the HVAC system. Your HVAC system doesn’t just keep your employees comfortable and productive; it also impacts your energy bills. According to the US Department of Energy, HVAC systems account for 35% of a building’s energy usage. So, if your company is looking to renovate its commercial building, it’s important to consider the HVAC system.
Here’s a checklist to help you determine whether your company’s HVAC system is running smoothly:
- Is the air quality good? If not, it could be time to replace the air filters.
- Are the temperatures comfortable? If not, you may need to invest in a new AC unit.
- Are the energy bills unusually high? If they’re, it could signify that the HVAC system is working harder than it should.
- Is the ventilation adequate? If not, it may be time to invest in new vents or ductwork.
- Is the HVAC system noisy? If so, it might need some repair or replacement.
If you notice any of these issues, you should contact a professional to check your HVAC system. They can advise on whether you require repairs or replacements, such as AC installation.
3. Does Your Company Need New Transportation Vehicles?
Your commercial building renovation checklist should include key considerations to help determine whether your company needs new transportation vehicles. You’ll need to consider a few things when deciding whether or not you need new vehicles.
First, consider the size of your renovation project. If you’re only renovating a small portion of your building, you may not need new vehicles. However, if you’re undertaking a large-scale renovation, you’ll likely need some extra transportation.
You should also think about the type of equipment you’ll be moving. You probably won’t need specialized vehicles if you’re only moving light items, like office furniture and supplies. But if you’re moving heavy equipment or large materials, you’ll need to consider renting a truck or large vehicle.
No matter what your renovation project entails, local movers can be a great resource for commercial building renovation projects. They specialize in moving heavy equipment and large items and have the experience and expertise to ensure your equipment is moved safely and efficiently.
4. Does Your Company Need New Garage Doors?
New garage doors might not be top of mind when you think about commercial building renovations, but they can significantly impact the look of your property. If your current garage doors are old, outdated, or in disrepair, it might be time to consider replacing them.
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you determine whether new garage doors are right for your business:
- The condition of your current doors: If your garage doors are starting to show signs of aging with cracks, dents, or fading paint, new doors can give your property a much-needed facelift.
- The security of your current doors: If you’re concerned about the security of your property, upgrading to newer doors with better security features can give you peace of mind.
- The energy efficiency of your current doors: Older doors can let in drafts and let heat escape, driving up your energy bills.
- The cost of repairs: If your current doors need frequent repairs, replacing them with new ones might be more cost-effective in the long run.
- The functionality of the doors: If your doors are not opening and closing smoothly, it’s time for new doors.
If you decide that new garage doors are the way to go for your commercial building renovation, consult with reputable garage door contractors. They will be able to help you choose the right doors for your building and your budget.
5. Is Your Company’s Building Drains Clean?
Your commercial building renovation checklist should include drain cleaning! After all, your company’s building drains are responsible for transporting wastewater away from your property. If they become clogged, it could cause serious problems, including flooding and water damage to your building.
Fortunately, drain cleaning is relatively straightforward. Hire a professional drain cleaning company to come and clear out your drains. They’ll use special tools to remove any build-up, and your drains will be as good as new!
Don’t forget to add drain cleaning to your commercial building renovation checklist. It’s an important step to ensuring a successful renovation.
6. Is Your Company’s Driveway in Good Condition?
The condition of your driveway is one of the first things customers and clients will notice when they visit your business. If your company’s driveway is in good condition, it can create a positive impression of your business. But if it’s in poor condition, it could give potential customers and clients the wrong idea about your company.
Here’s a quick commercial building renovation checklist to help you assess the condition of your company’s driveway:
- Check for cracks: If you notice any cracks in the asphalt, it’s time to make repairs. Asphalt crack repairs will help to prevent further damage and keep your driveway looking its best.
- Check for potholes: Potholes are another common issue in commercial driveways. If left unaddressed, potholes can cause damage to vehicles.
- Check for signs of wear and tear: Inspect the edges of your driveway for any signs of wear and tear. If you see any crumbling or erosion, it’s time to make repairs.
With this simple checklist, you can help to ensure that your commercial driveway is in good condition. Repairs and other preventive maintenance measures will help extend your driveway’s life and keep it looking its best.
7. Could Your Company Use New Brochures?
You may not think of brochures as a key element of your commercial building renovation, but they can be extremely helpful! According to a recent Bentley University study, 85% of the people surveyed became aware of a business by reading a brochure.
Here are a few things to consider when deciding whether new brochures are right for your company:
- Are your current brochures looking a bit tired? It may be time for a refresh if they start to look dated. New brochure designs can help give your company a fresh, modern look.
- Do you have any new products or services to promote? If so, new brochures are a great way to get the word out. You can also use them to promote special offers or discounts.
- Do you have a statistic that could use some improvement? For example, if your company has a low customer retention rate, you can use new brochures to promote your commitment to customer service.
- Are you planning any major changes to your company? If so, new brochures can be a great way to display your new image.
If your answer was yes to any of the above, it might be time to consider new brochures for your commercial building renovation. They can help you update your image, promote new products and services, and improve your company’s stats!
8. Does Your Company Need Printing Done?
When it comes to commercial building renovations, one of the most important things to consider is whether or not your company needs printing. There are a few things to keep in mind when making this decision:
- Do you have any physical products that need to be printed, such as brochures, business cards, or packaging?
- Do you need to print any signage for your building, for directional purposes or for promoting special events?
- Do you have any marketing materials that need to be printed, such as flyers or postcards?
- Do you need to print promotional items, such as t-shirts or hats?
Commercial printing can be costly and time-consuming, but it’s important if you want your business to succeed. Not only will it give your business a more professional appearance, but it will also help you attract more customers and close more sales.
9. Is Your Company’s Building Warm Enough?
If your company’s building is not warm enough, you may be in for a nasty winter. According to the National Centers for Environmental Information, the average contiguous US temperature in January is around 34.6°F. That means your building needs to be able to keep the heat in to keep your employees comfortable.
Here are a few things to consider when making your checklist:
- Heating system: does your heating system keep your building warm all winter? If not, it may be time for an upgrade. One option to consider is new furnace installations.
- Windows and doors: Do you have energy-efficient windows and doors? If not, heat can escape, and your energy bills will go up.
- Insulation: Is your insulation up to par? If not, you may lose heat, and your building will be colder than it should be.
- Weatherstripping: Do you have adequate weatherstripping around your doors and windows? If not, heat can escape, and your building will be relatively cold.
- Interior finishes: Do you have drafts coming through your walls or ceiling? If so, heat can escape, making your building feel unusually colder.
Ensuring your building is warm enough should be at the top of your commercial building renovation checklist. You can keep your building comfortable all winter long by upgrading your heating system, windows, and doors – and ensuring your insulation and weatherstripping is up to par.
10. How is Your Company’s Security?
Your company’s security measures should be at the top of your commercial building renovation checklist. After all, your business is only as secure as its weakest link, and a commercial building renovation is a perfect opportunity to fortify your security system.
Here’s a checklist of security measures to consider for your renovation:
- Start with the basics: Adding a security door at the main entrance and equipping all windows and doors with better locks.
- Installation of security cameras and alarm systems
- Improved lighting in and around the building
- Improved security protocols for employees
- Review your insurance policy to ensure you’re properly covered in case of a break-in or other security incident.
With these considerations in mind, you can make your commercial building renovation a success – and help keep your company’s property and employees safe.
When it comes to commercial building renovations, there are a lot of factors to consider. But with careful planning and some know-how, it can be a smooth and successful process. With the help of this commercial building renovation checklist, you can be sure that you’re covering all of your most crucial bases. So get started today, and see the amazing transformation that your business can undergo!